Coopersville Area District Library Director:
General Summary: The Director plans and administers all aspects of the library’s operations: supervise all staff and volunteers, implement policies set by the CADL Board, develop and promote innovative and creative programs and diverse and accessible collections to best serve the library’s users and acts as its representative at local, state and intergovernmental meetings with the Downtown Development Authority, Ottawa County, Library of Michigan, Lakeland Library Cooperative and many others.
• A master’s degree or its equivalent from a library school accredited by the American Library Association and Level Two Certification by the Library of Michigan. (The director will have previously completed or will complete the New Director’s Workshop within 1 year of the appointment and complete Advanced Director’s Workshop within 2 years of being appointed library director.)
• Effective interpersonal relations, including strong team building, active listening, and problem-solving skills.
• Experience in financial management, budgeting, district library law and operating policies and strategic planning and the ability to share that knowledge with others.
• Strong communication skills when working with the board, staff, and the community in promoting library services and the value of the library including the use of social media and web page design.
• Proficiency with technology associated with library management, software applications and hardware maintenance.
• Experience in materials selection, collection maintenance and organization and a true love for libraries and the principals they support.
Essential Functions and Duties:
• Oversees and evaluates the operation of the library.
• Develops library policies and procedures, implements and administers them upon approval of the library board.
• Formulates and develops library goals and objectives and plans library services to meet them.
• Promotes and publicizes library services and programs.
• Supervises all library staff.
• Implements board personnel policies and is responsible for recruiting, interviewing, hiring and training new employees, and for evaluating performance and making termination decisions for all staff.
• Implements regular staff meetings.
• Prepares an annual budget and administers and monitors the expenditure of funds.
• Negotiates all library agreements for services and purchases, presenting all contracts and recommendations to the library board.
• Oversees fundraising activities for the library, including writing grant proposals and assuring successful completion of grant projects.
• Is responsible for collection development and maintenance and keeping materials, current, relevant, factual, and broad-based in scope.
• Prepares monthly financial, circulation, department and program reports to be included in the board packet.
• Attends all regular and special meetings of the Coopersville Area District Library Board of Trustees.
• Encourages and maintains active participation within the Lakeland Library Cooperative.
• Represents the library at meetings and conferences of county, state, regional, and national professional library associations.
• Maintains confidentiality of all patron records and transactions.
• Maintains library equipment inventory records.
• Enforces library “rules of conduct” and takes appropriate action in case of infringement.
• Performs all other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.
Application deadline is Monday, September 7th at 3:00 pm. Please e-mail or mail the requested information to:
Carol Dawe, Director
Lakeland Library Cooperative/4138 3 Mile Rd NW/Grand Rapids, MI 49534